The road system in Belize is improving all the time, and there are now several high quality highways in Belize.
The main highways in Belize are:
- The Northern Highway (which replaces the Old Northern Highway). This road leads from Belize City to Orange Walk Town, Corozal Town and Chetumal (Mexico).
- The Western Highway. This road leads from Belize City to Hattieville, Belmopan, San Ignacio, Santa Elena and to the Guatemala border.
- The Hummingbird Highway. This road leads from Belmopan to Dangriga.
- The Coastal Highway. This road connects the area of Democracia with the area of Melinda.
- The Southern Highway. This road connects the area of Dangriga with Nim Li Punit.
The road conditions are not equal across all roads. Note that some of the highways are fully paved (i.e. the Northern Highway), while others are largely dust tracks (i.e. the Coastal Highway).