Belize uses the Belize Dollar (BZ$ / BZD) currency, sometimes erroneously referred to as Belizean Dollars. US Dollars are accepted virtually anywhere in Belize as a form of payment, so visitors do not need to worry about exchanging US Dollars into Belize Dollars.
There is a small charge due when the United States Dollar is exchanged into the Belize Dollar. Yet, when the Belize Dollar (i.e. the leftover cash from a vacation) is turned back into United States Dollars, a “prohibitive” fee is charged. It is recommended to only exchange the amount of money into Belize Dollars that you need within a short time frame and leave the rest in US Dollars.
Fixed Exchange Rate
The Belize Dollar has been linked to the United States dollar at a fixed exchange rate, where 1 USD = 2 BZD. This exchange rate has been fixed since 1978.
Coins used in Belize
- 1885: Introduction of the bronze 1 cent coins
- 1894: Introduction of the silver 5, 10, 25 and 50 cent coins.
- 1907: The 5 cent silver coins were replaced by cupro-nickel coins.
- 1942: The 5 cent cupro-nickel coins were replaced by nickel-brass coins.
- 1952, The 25 cent silver coins were replaced by cupro-nickel coins.
- 1954: The 50 cent silver coins were replaced by cupro-nickel coins.
- 1954: The 1 cent coin was reduced in size.
- 1956: The 10 cent silver coins were replaced by cupro-nickel coins.
- 1956: The 1 cent coin switched to a scalloped shape.
- 1976: Aluminium 1 and 5 cent coins were introduced.
- 1990: A nickel-brass 1 decagonal 1 dollar coin was introduced.
Dollar notes used in Belize
- 1894: Bank notes with denominations of 1, 2, 5, 10, 50 and 100 dollars were introduced.
- 1928: Production of 50 and 100 dollars was stopped.
- 1952: Introduction of 20 dollar notes.
- 1980: Reintroduction of the 100 dollar note.
- 1980: The Monetary Authority of Belize took over note production.
- 1983: The Central Bank of Belize assumed responsibility for paper money production.
- 1990: Production of 50 dollar notes recommenced.
- 1990: The 1 dollar note was replaced by a 1 dollar coin.